[CLICK HERE TO VIEW PRINTING INSTRUCTIONS]
Grecian Eggplant Casserole
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan
with olive oil.
- 2 eggplants, peeled and sliced very thinly
- 10 slices provolone cheese
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
- 8 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 oz grated parmesan, or romano cheese
- 2 lbs ground meat (beef, turkey or lamb)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cinammon
- 4 oz can no-sugar-added tomato sauce
Put a bit of olive oil in a frying pan and saute chopped onion, celery garlic
and about 1 tsp of Italian seasoning. Saute for about 10 minutes. Add the
mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes. Add the ground meat and cook until
meat is no longer pink. Drain any grease. Add can of tomato sauce and
cinammon and simmer for about 3 minutes.
Mix the shredded mozzarella, grated parmesan, ricottta and feta cheeses in a
small bowl, and out aside.
In the meantime, salt the eggplant slices. I slice my eggplant one at a time
so I can cut them in half per recipe.
Put half the salted eggplant slices (one eggplant) in the bottom of a large
greased pan. Sprinkle with Italian seasonings. Layer one half of meat/tomato
mixture over the eggplant. Layer half of the the provolone cheese and half
the grated parmesan/ricotta/feta/mozzarella mixture and spread over the
Repeat the layering, add additional Italian seasoning. Bake in a preheated
oven for about 30 minutes, 325°F if using a glass pan.
Serves 8. 3.3 net grams of carbohydrate per serving.