Why Coenzyme Q10?
Handling Food Safely
Make it Low Carb: Saucy!
A Time of New Beginnings
5 Ways to Beautiful Skin
Food and Wine Pairings
Time Management Tips
Recipes from Dreamfields
Panel: Exercise & Weight Loss
GL, GI? Oh My!
Top Picks: Low Carb Books
Perfect Scrambled Eggs
SIGN UP TO SUBSCRIBE
Lemon Chicken with Mushrooms
Place chicken and mushrooms into a large shallow dish. Combine oil, lemon juice,
thyme and salt and pepper in a jug. Whisk well to combine. Pour over chicken
and mushrooms. Toss well to coat. Preheat a greased large frying pan on
- 4 chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Salad leaves, to serve
Add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
Alternatively, grill chicken and mushrooms until done.
Remove to a plate, cover with foil and keep warm. Increase heat to high, add
mushrooms and cook, tossing frequently, for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
Place chicken onto serving plates, top with mushrooms and season with salt and
pepper. Serve with salad leaves.
Serves 4 — 1.6 grams of carbohydrate per serving.
Tomato and Herbed Ricotta Salata Salad
Crumble the ricotta salata in a bowl. Add the basil, chives, mint, oregano and
thyme and mix together until all of the herbs are on the outside of the crumbled
- 1/2 pound ricotta salata
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- 5 large ripe tomatoes, 1/4" slices
- 1/2 pound colored cherry tomatoes, red, orange, yellow plum, green, halved
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Basil, mint, oregano and/or thyme sprigs as a garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the tomatoes on a serving platter, overlapping slightly. Scatter the cherry
tomatoes on top. Season with salt.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste with
salt and pepper. Drizzle the vinaigrette onto the tomatoes and let sit 10 minutes.
To serve, scatter the cheese over the tomatoes and garnish with basil, mint,
oregano and thyme sprigs.
Serves 6 — 5.6 net grams of carbohydrate per serving.
Grilled Italian Veal Chops
Warm 1/2 inch olive oil in the bottom of a skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil
is hot, add the sage leaves and cook until crisp, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from the
pan and drain on paper towels. Reserve for garnishing.
- Olive oil for frying
- 20 large sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 rib-eye veal chops, about 8 to 10 ounces each
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup imported black or green olives, pitted and very coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the veal
chops and cook until golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the veal chops, season with salt
and pepper, and continue to cook until golden and cooked to medium rare, 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove from the pan, place on a warm platter, cover with foil, and keep warm.
Increase the heat to medium-high, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the
garlic, and cook until the garlic is soft, about 15 seconds. Add the white wine and
simmer until the wine has almost evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock
and reduce by half, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the olives, capers, and fresh sage and stir
together. Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, place one chop on each plate and spoon the sauce, olives, and capers over
the top and around the sides. Garnish with crisp sage leaves and serve immediately.
Delicious with turnip fries!
Serves 6 — 6.8 net grams of carbohydrate per serving.
Grilled Chicken and Sun-dried Tomato Salad
Grill or pan fry chicken for 5 minutes each side. In a large bowl, combine
lettuce and dressing. Fold together gently. Divide among serving plates.
Arrange sun-dried tomatoes, olives and avocado over lettuce.
- 2 lb chicken tenderloins
- 8 slices bacon, fried and broken into pieces
- 4 cups mixed gourmet lettuce
- 1/2 cup Caesar dressing
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup blanched toasted almonds
Finish with grilled chicken and bacon and a sprinkling of almonds to serve.
Makes 4 servings — 5 net grams of carbohydrate per serving.
Copyright © April 2005 Low Carb Luxury
Recipe photos Copyright ? 2005 Neil Beaty for Low Carb Luxury